Community for Unaccompanied Foreign Minors
The Nuovo Villaggio del Fanciullo operates two community sites for unaccompanied foreign minors in Ravenna. It offers a housing solution and education resources to complete the process of social integration and personal empowerment of the boys also as a result of transfers from the emergency reception facilities.
The service can accommodate 20 foreign males, aged between 16 and 18 years old, who have arrived in Italy without a family and without a regular residence permit.
The facility is aimed specifically at young males who:
- have illegally entered Italian territory;
- come from minor educational programmes in other communities where they followed a targeted path to autonomy and self-regulation, and who do not have problems related to alcohol and/or drugs;
- come from the initial reception centre, called the 72 HOUR MODULE, also managed by the Nuovo Villaggio del Fanciullo.
Until the coming of age
The UAMS (Unaccompanied Foreign Minors) scheme is designed to help individuals achieve personal autonomy and a new independent life in our country through the life of the community, through the introduction to education and through the acquisition of new professional skills. The educators are present 24 hours a day with a flexible timetable, guaranteeing a continuous service and managing all educational and health care needs or emergencies.
Ensuring the young people a time and a place to plan their lives. The educator promotes an individual growth path that will lead them to be accountable for their actions in the workplace and in a social context, encouraging constancy and commitment both in terms of study and respect/sharing of common areas. Progress is monitored with respect to the achievement of the targets and any necessary changes to the customised plan will be proposed during the review carried out by Community operators and Social Services.
Stay - Maximum 72 hours
The " 72 Hours Module " began as a proposal for intervention in response to a specific emergency condition. In particular, the recipients are foreign males aged between 14 and 18, in need of an immediate and temporary accommodation and social protection, in situations where it is not possible to find a suitable location to other facilities in the area.
- Provide immediate reception within 72 hours;
- Satisfying basic needs of first asylum (food, clothing, health and hygiene products);
- Improvement of original health conditions;
- Possibility to transfer to MSNA.
The psycho-physical condition of the individual must require the immediate activation and organisation of an emergency. Given the commitment required, the community cannot accommodate more than two boys for more than 72 hours, specific exceptions are granted.
Common work methodologies
Common work methodologies
We base our intervention on the progressive integration of the individual into community life, in terms of the traditions and customs of our country.
With an individual plan of action, educators are able to quickly identify the educational and training needs of the individual.
Activities considered fundamental for the realisation of the service:
- Identification of an Individual Education Plan.
- Meetings and weekly groups.
- Activities of daily management and reorganisation of the common areas.
- School: guest participation at public and private schools in study courses tailored to their previous school experiences, assisted and supported by the community's educators.
- Professional training courses. These courses, taught by experienced teachers facilitate the employment of minors on conclusion of their stay in the community.
- Regular health checkups.
- Collaboration with cultural mediators and other organisations dedicated to unaccompanied minors.
- Sports and Recreation: provide sport for recreational purposes but also as an "outlet", collaborations with leading institutions and facilities (Ravenna Swimming club, Tititom School of Music, Sports, Soccer Schools, Theatre courses, Recycling Laboratory).
- There are also frequent trips to the city and occasional excursions.
- Legal age;
- Violent behaviour or not suitable to life in the community;
- Mood swings due to use of drugs and/or alcohol;
- Strongly compromised health conditions:
- presence of diseases that require continuous monitoring; state of health and/or drug therapy currently underway;
- presence of diseases that impair the ability to reach objectives and carry out daily activities;
- physical disabilities.
At the end of the module, the team will produce a report of the individual's progress within the facility, achievement of objectives and any problems encountered, achievements at school or during internship.
Dr. Fenati Mattia - Psychologist
Dr. Fenati joined the Nuovo Villaggio del Fanciullo in 2005 and works with people presenting problems related to substance use and alcohol related problems. Since 2007 he has been in charge of the management of unaccompanied foreign minors entrusted to the community.
The facility's nursing service is guaranteed from 08.00 to 22.00 with the presence of a nurse.
Primary Care Physician
Dr. Fazio Gaspare
The aspects related to general health are monitored by the primary care physician and performed by the local health service.
Daily fee Euro 80,00
Daily fee 72 HOURS Euro 110,00